How many of us women thought cardio was the only way to lose weight? I used to think that the more cardio I did, the more weight I would lose. But cardio is only part of the equation. We also need to include resistance training, like weight-lifting or resistance bands or our own body weight, into our routines. Women won’t get bulky like men do. We just don’t have the right kinds of hormones.
Here are five great reasons women should do resistance training:
- Burns more body fat: Your metabolism is revved up for hours after an intense resistance workout, as opposed to cardio where your metabolism usually slows down once your cardio is done.
- Boosts your metabolism: the more muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism.
- Fights depression: Just like cardio, resistance training releases endorphins.
- Builds self confidence and self-esteem: Being strong is empowering. Strong is sexy.
- Helps your heart: Increases the good cholesterol, the HDL.
My self confidence has skyrocketed since I started resistance training. I’m stronger. I love seeing the cut of my muscles. It spurs me on to keep it up!
Have you added resistance training into your exercise routine? Let me know in the comments.